MIGRATEST© EXP is based on numerical algorithms that allow the calculation of the mass transfer of migrants from packaging materials to e.g. food, cosmetic or pharmaceutical products. MIGRATEST© EXP gives you a deeper insight into the migration processes taking place in your packaging. MIGRATEST© EXP is constantly updated and further developed. In addition, the software has been adapted to the latest specifications of the Plastics Regulation (EU) No 10/2011.
- Simulate the time- and temperature-dependent migration of a substance from a packaging layer of e.g. plastic or paper and cardboard or a multilayer composite into a food, food simulant or other filling material for time intervals ranging from seconds to several years.
- Compare the results obtained with the SMLs (specific migration limits) from e.g. the Union list of the Plastics Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 and thereby learn whether a (new) experimental test is necessary or not.
- Estimate the time-dependent reduction of a migrant’s concentration in the layer(s).
- Calculate the “maximum initial concentration” of a substance in the finished product that leads to migration at the level of the SML in the food or filling material.
- Calculate in a simple way to what extent the migration of a substance is influenced by a change in temperature, layer thicknesses or by the addition or removal of a layer and to what extent this layer represents a functional barrier, for example.
The software uses numerical algorithms and material-specific constants to calculate the migration of compounds. For this purpose, the Plastics Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 provides information on the limit values of monomers and additives, simulants assigned to foodstuffs and test conditions (time/temperature). This information is also stored in the databases of the software. Some data on diffusion and distribution coefficients or AP values are available, for example, in the book “Plastic Packaging – Interactions with Food and Pharmaceuticals” (Wiley-VCH; 2008) and are also part of the JRC modelling guidance.
Get to know MIGRATEST© EXP!
You are welcome to download a trial copy of the software from the FABES homepage for one month.
In addition, FABES offers workshops in which you can get to know the program in more detail. The first questions can already be modelled. The workshops can take place at your company, at FABES or online.
If the purchase of the software is not worthwhile for you for operational reasons, then we also offer the service of carrying out the assessment for you. You will then receive a detailed report. Contact us and benefit from the FABES database, which is more comprehensive than the one integrated in the software. You will receive a corresponding offer with a request for the information necessary for the estimation.
You would like to order MIGRATEST© EXP, test it or have a question? Or are you interested in carrying out an assessment or in a FABES workshop? Then please fill out the form completely and send it to us. We will then get in touch with you as soon as possible.