Welcome to the Homepage of FABES Forschungs-GmbH for Analytic and Evaluation of Mass transfer Processes.
We are pleased about your interest in FABES. Feel free to browse through our website and learn about our entire portfolio in terms of customer service with regards of migration and permeation.
FABES is mainly engaged in applied research within the field “quality assurance of consumer articles” and in specific consultation of the involved industry.
To ensure high quality of our services FABES is accredited according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 by the Germany´s national accreditation body DAkkS since 2011 (see accreditation document). The accreditation applies for the test methods enlisted in the certificate annex D-PL-14122-01-00. Hence FABES has implemented a System of Quality Management, which is refined constantly and checked regularly by internal measurements and external by DAkkS.
FABES was founded in 1997 by Dr. Otto Piringer, well known as expert in the field of “mass transfer phenomena”. He was head of the Department “Product Safety and Analytics” in the “Fraunhofer Institute IVV” and a member of “Kommission für Bedarfsgegenstände” of the German “Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR)” in Berlin for 25 years. The FABES– team, steadily growing up to approx. 20 employees, extended the core competences.
The FABES Team is ready to provide support in
- examination and evaluation of consumer goods (e.g. foodstuff, pharmaceutical or cosmetic packaging) or contact material in general (e.g. filter materials, kitchenware) with regard to national and international food safety regulation (BRD, EU, FDA, Swiss-FDHA) incl. determination of NIAS (with possibly necessary TTC risk assessment),
- examination of migration (incl. evaluation) of substances from drinking water contact materials according to UBA-requirements,
- measurement of specific substances and where necessary development of specific analytical methods, for determination of e.g. migration amounts or the residual/actual contents (cP,O),
- identification of unknown packaging components (off-odours, recycling components),
- in-house or off-site training measures concerning conformity and legal obligations based on your problems and needs,
- measurement of migration kinetics of additives, their decomposition products and impurities in the plastic materials as well,
- determination of diffusion coefficient DP, distribution coefficient KP,F, material specific constant AP,
- hydrolysis studies according to EFSA-Guideline “Note for Guidance”,
- determination of the water solubility of substances,
- development of diffusion models for the theoretical estimation of migration and further exposition scenarios (e.g. REACH) by software-programs,
- mathematical modelling of diffusion processes,
- compilation of evaluations for monomers and (monomeric/polymeric) additives for UBA, BfR, EFSA, FDA and Swiss-FDHA, used in the production of food contact materials or drinking water components. Both migration reports and, in cooperation with the customer, complete dossiers for the substance request can be provided.
It is crucial for FABES to be engaged in research projects to ensure a top position in the field of “mass transfer phenomena”, as this is also of eminent relevance for our customers. Therefore we promote e.g. the
- development of specific analytical methods or diffusion models for theoretical estimation to deal with new issues and problems,
- cooperation with several institutes, associations and industry within EU- and other projects.
The foundation of FABES innovation in 2006 enables us to participate in national, public supported projects. “FABES innovation” is a non-profit subsidiary and a fully-owned subsidiary of the “Forschungsgemeinschaft für Verpackungs- und Lebensmitteltechnik e.V.” (FoGe).
Our team of chemists (PhD), food chemists, physicists and laboratory staff is at your disposal to provide comprehensive consultation, develop reliable individual solutions and perform high quality examinations.
You are always welcome to visit FABES to get acquainted with our team and our facilities.
Please do not hesitate to ask for any further information and get to know us as a reliable and competent partner. We are looking forward to a fruitful and successful cooperation.
Your FABES Managing Directors Dr. Monika Rüter and Dr. Otto Piringer